Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Field of Depth

I recently began taking photography classes. I've always loved taking pictures, and I love it even more when those pictures turn out awesome.

A few years ago, I bought myself a nice DSLR camera. Pretty exciting, right? Then I proceeded to shoot my camera with all the bells and whistles on full 'auto'.  Lame. It was basically a giant, overpriced point and shoot in my incapable hands.

I tried teaching myself about apeture settings and field of depth via the internet... Bad idea. I ended up messing up me camera's settings so badly that even in 'Auto' it wouldn't shoot very nice photos. Ugh.  Serious *head/desk* moment for me.

Fast forward to January 28th and so began my first photography class. It was necessary in order to get my camera back into shooting shape. I'd really messed it up!

I've now got 4 classes under my belt and I'm a lot more comfortable moving dials and pressing buttons, without fearing that I am going to completely mess everything up again. I was sitting in my truck on my lunch break yesterday, and I managed to do some things that I hadn't been able to do before.

I've always wanted to learn how to make the background of a photo blurry, with the subject in focus.
Well, bam!  Learned how.

 
 
Then I wanted to figure out how to shoot past something to focus on something else behind it.
Double bam!  Learned it.
















Lastly, my ultimate test was to make the forefront and the background blurred out, while focusing on something in between. Whoop! BAM! Done.
(it's the turn signal thats the in-between... in case that wasn't obvious. Hey, there weren't a lot of things to shoot within the confines of my parked vehicle!)

 
That brown thing is my boot, by the way. And the blue stuff is my jeans. Sometimes I like to relax and I put my foot up on the dash while I read.  Cuz you wanted to know that, right?

I know, they aren't the most impressive photographs. But they give me hope that one day I can take some great photographs on purpose, and not just by sheer luck.

Baby steps.


No comments: