Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kirby Agility

It's official. I've finally gotten off my lazy bum and signed Kirby up for agility class.  We finished obedience late last year and I never got around to following up with agility. Partially because I didnt want to drive, and partially because I refused to let go of my dream of Kirby becoming a frisbee dog.

I have since let go of that dream and I'm moving on. For Kirby's sake.  Kirby is, however, making his disc doggin debut this weekend. And not because I'm forcing him...  Well, I mean I am putting him into my truck and driving his ass on up to the comp... But thats not forcing him. I'm doing it because since I've given up my Kirby disc dream, he's actually come out of his shell more and his disc game has improved tremendously.  The other weekend at our indoor playdate, Kirby was catching long throw after long throw, all four feet off the ground, spinning around and bringing them back.  He was flipping and spinning and I was shocked and impressed.  I've since tried him outside with only about half the success, but Kirby is easily distractable outside.  His distraction?  New grass.  How annoying.  He stops mid flight and chews on grass. 

Whatever.  I am happy that Kirby will play just enough to have some fun on the disc field at these comps. If he shows me that it's just not his thing or that he's not enjoying it, we'll stop.  In the meantime, I have high hopes for agility.  He's agile, athletic, smart and highly food motivated. And he did extremely in his obedience class with the clicker method.  So that's the route we'll go. 

We start in about three and a half weeks!  This will mostly be me learning cues and Kirby being introduced to the obsticals. I think he'll have great fun.  He likes to learn and seems to enjoy working things out.  Agility will keep him busy enough.  Cross your fingers for us!

No comments: