Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Scream Like Banshee

Dogs Deserve Better.  They got me into this mess.  I never did dog rescue prior to DDB.  I blame them!

No, I don't blame them for anything.  The rescue's efforts are for a cause that I believe in and feel very strongly about.  I don't believe in 'outside dogs'.  You can't tell me that a dog would prefer to sit outside chained to a mudhole than be inside sleeping in front of your fireplace.

Anyways, don't get me started on that rant.  I've fostered dozens and dozens of dogs for DDB in the past years.  And every single one of them posed some sort of challenge for me.  There have been many different occassions where I could do nothing but sit on the steps and cry while my foster dogs turned into tazmanian devils and wreaked havoc on my home and my relationships.  There have been so many times where I felt that giving up was my only option. Throw in the towel. Toss in the sponge. Be done.

And even today there are always tiny flickers of time where I question how much longer I can put myself through this.  Fostering dogs is difficult.  Fostering dogs who have only known life on a chain is near impossible.  There is nothing easy about it.

So the founder of our lovely rescue wrote a book.  Tamira Ci Thayne, also known as Tammy Grimes, knows as well as any of us (or even better) the kinds of difficulties these dogs pose to their foster families.  So she kept a diary of a month when she had a foster dog named Banshee. And she sent us a copy.  And I started reading it last night. 

And it's like she is speaking right to me!  It's as though she read my mind as I tossed away yet another $75 crate that my foster dog tore apart and she responded... through the book. 

Scream Like Banshee.  It's an absolute must read for people who foster dogs for rescue.  Or even for people who own dogs who give them 'guff' every once and a whlie.  It really helps to put things into perspective.  I'm only a few chapters in and with every single page I find myself saying 'Yes! That's exactly how I feel!' 

Scream Like Banshee.  Get it.  Right now!  You won't regret it I promise.   

No comments: