Friday, April 9, 2010

No Means NO

Unless of course it's in regards to an animal in need. Then 'No' means 'Of course we can take your animal and find it a new home!"


It's no secret in my small farming town that we do dog rescue.  We've had people leave dogs on our doorstep before, and it will likely happen again as long as we live here. But last night we had a first.


Our neighbor lady is a sweetheart. They have dogs of their own and they occasionally leave us bags of dog biscuts hanging on our doorknob for the rescue dogs we have.  Last night there was a knock on the back door.  As I approached the door, I saw through the window that it was the neighbor lady, and she was holding the most gorgeous kitten. My hand touched the doorknob right as I saw the cat. My already knew where this visit was going and began shouting "RUUUUN! Do not answer that door young lady!"  But, pretty kitty!  I was drawn.  She knew I was home anyways.  So I opened the door.


She explained that they had found her curled up on their front porch that morning and the bus stop kids were carrying her around.  I started to give her a firm but polite 'NO', but instead I found myself hollaring for Red.  I couldn't say no.  So he would have to be the meany and say no.  But Red, my knight in shining armour, tells me that the kitty is cute. And agrees that we can take her for a few days while we find a rescue for her.  So much for helping me say no.


So whatever.  We have a new cat for the time being.  I've dubbed her 'Rat Cat' after the giant Ragdoll cat we had as a little girl. he probably wasnt that giant. But when I was 4 years old, he seemed pretty effing huge to me!  The RatCat in my childhood brain remembers only a beautiful sable Ragdoll cat that was half as big as I was. 

She's really a sweetheart. She can't be more than a year old, if that. And she's teeny tiny.  Like 7lbs tiny.

And she's quite the talker. Red looooves that.  Not.

1 comment:

~Lesa~ said...

Ohhhhhh...pretty kitty. Hope you find a home for her soon. Although I think she's found one already with you. :)