Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Distressed is Distressing


For me, anyways.

I've been a big fan of blogging diy'ers for some time.  To the point where they inspired me to do a handful of my own projects, most of which turned out wonderfully!

You recall the bedroom makeover:



 











Which lead to the home-made headboard:














The hutch makeover:



















And the Ottoman Recover:














I had great fun with each and every one of the projects I've tackled.  And all of them were inspired by other bloggers who DIY on a daily basis.

I don't like change enough to want to be changing things so frequently, which is why all of these projects were so spaced apart, and the reason that this blog will never become 'Musings of a Minnesota DIYer'.  That's just not how I roll.

My vision is turning onto my furniture at home.  Most of it, dressers, the coffee table, etc, is older and hand me downs from siblings when I was 18.  Much of the pieces are solid wood.  I've been seeing the results people are getting with some sanding (okay, a lot of sanding) and some primer and paint or stain.  And I'm getting excited about it. 

However... and I'm probably going to get kicked for saying this, it really bums me out when people purposefully 'distress' a piece after they have spent hours or even days refurbing it.  I guess I am not seeing the magic that others are seeing in finished distressed pieces. To me, they just look older and spookier. And dirty.  Distressing gives them a very dirty look. 

It's distressing.  Get it?  But seriously.

No comments: