Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Canine Madness

If you haven't already guessed it, dogs are the reason that I have been mia the past week. Dogs are always to blame.

Shotzy and Willie are both black lab mixes who came from a shelter where they were kept in little crates for nearly a month, with only minimal potty breaks outside. So they arrived with some issues. Issues that I first thought I might not be able to deal with long. But we have worked through it and we've come to a happy medium. I hope.

Shotzy is a well mannered Black Lab, probably mixed with Pit or something similar.



She's a good dog. It's a battle of wills between us sometimes. But she's coming along. Shotzy thinks that she needs to eat Sylvester the cat. But I don't agree with her a bit.

Will is a small Black Lab. I dont know if he's mixed. But he really is just a shy sweetheart.




He will crawl into your lap and stay there for as long as you let him.

The first week with new dogs is always the most stressful. This is the period where I spend most of the time seriously doubting my capabilities as a dog rescuer. It's true. The main question at the front of my brain is 'What the hell did I get myself into?' And then I start wondering what I would be doing right then if I hadn't taken on these particular dogs. The answer is always calming... I would be lazily taking care of my house, sipping on a cold beer. Watching one of my favorite weekend TV shows, like Flip this House, or It's Me or The Dog, or The Lion King would be playing on some movie channel. Then I am always jerked back into reality when my new foster dog whizzes past me, taking me out by the knees, in an attempt to corner my cat and eat him. And while I scramble to get control of the situation, the other dog goes to another corner and has diarrhea all over my beige carpet. What kind of dog rescuer has beige carpet anyways? The kind of dog rescuer who can't talk her fiance into putting down pretty laminet wood floors, thats who. And while I'm trying to clean up the mess of that 2nd dog, the first dog starts wrestling with my dogs and body slams herself into the end table, knocking over everything that has managed to survive my years in dog rescue. So then I scramble to finish cleaning up dog 2's mess, move onto clean up the new mess made by dog 1, and then dog 2 tries jumping out the window.

It's just a never ending battle folks. There is nothing easy about dog rescue.

But just when I want to quit, that stupid, tearjerker ASPCA commercial comes on and its all I can do not to break down into tears. I know why I do what I do. It's just that it really wears on a person. It really does. But just when I think that I can't handle it anymore, everybody takes a chill pill and all of the dogs find a comfey spot in the house and take a nap. Everything is peaceful.. And all is well with my world again.

I could still use that cold beer though...

1 comment:

Ninso said...

What kind of rescuer has beige carpet? The kind that started out with white carpet!! Like me!! Hence the reason I've decided to put in wood floors. And I'm doing it before the summer is over--all by myself with the help of my grandpa. Should be interesting. I know what you mean about the 1st week being stressful. The new dogs take about that long to learn manners, settle in, and figure out the routine. (Crazy how their old home couldn't teach them manners in a whole year, but it only take a week to learn at our houses.) Then it's all good again! But I HATE that first week. And I can't imagine having two newbies at a time!