Monday, June 15, 2009

Wedding Bells

I want to marry my fiance already. We have been engaged now for over 3 years. Over three years. Upon his proposal, we briefly discussed the timing of the wedding and we both agreed that 2 years out would be perfect. At the time, Red and I had been together for 2 years. 2 years of engagement would ensure that we were making the right decision, etc etc etc.

Let me explain something to you. When a girl is first engaged, of course thoughts of a gorgeous white dress and flowers and a huge wedding cake and handfuls of confetti are the first ones to cross her mind. As soon as she says 'yes' she is taken on a whirlwind of romance and beauty and love. Couples who do it traditionally are married within 9 to 12 months of their engagement. Thus that whirlwind of the excitement of getting married will carry them through the arrangements and stress until the day finally comes.

In other words: It keeps the momentum going steadily.

And while deep inside I wanted to just ride that wind for a year, I knew that realistically, doing the right thing and waiting 2 years was the best path to take.

It also deflated my wind. There has been no momentum. When you know that there won't be a wedding for 2 years, you really can't plan. Anything. At all.

Time passed. 1 year. I should have started planning. And in fact, we did start planning. We even set a date and paid for the reception venue. But that was axed as soon as we found out that Red's cousin already had that same day for his own wedding. It was another pin to my balloon. 2 years passed. Still nothing. Now its been 3 years and 1 month.

This weekend, as I previously wrote, I spent the time cleaning the house and watching fairy tale romance movies. Then I watched a Bridezilla's marathon. It really ramped up my drive to get married. (Except I don't understand why the men in Bridezilla's marry the women in Bridezilla's. Those girls are so mean to their men! It was unbelieveable!)

I'm going to marry Red, dammit. And it's going to be romantic! We already act like we've been married forever. We know each other better then we know ourselves. And I'm going to wear a pretty white dress.

But I need something to start blowing the wind. Whirlwind, where are you?

How the hell do you plan a wedding?


2 comments:

Hohni said...

Set a new date, pick a color, plan a grill out for bridesmaids, groomesmen, etc....go from there!!!
Actually before you set a date, might be a good idea to contact the photo person and see what they have open and DAMNIT get it done!!!!!!!

Cj said...

All I can say is don't let the years pass by.. just do it.. start making the calls and do it.. I learned that every moment every second and every hug counts.. SET IT ALREADY