Friday, June 12, 2009

Wyoming Sun

Ha! You all thought that maybe I have been missing for 9 days because I went to Wyoming, didn't you! Wrong.

I've been trying to write a book.
Many of you have read what I have written so far, which isn't much, considering that I've been working on it for almost a year now. One chapter? Come on, Emily.

All my life I have had a passion for literature and english composition. I have started many, many books. I have never finished a one. I get bored with it very easily. Like just now? I logged into Webs to try and add a little bit to Wyoming Sun. Read what I had most recently written, and was immediately slammed with writer's block. My strengths lie in creating characters and a beginning story line. My weakness is that I don't start out with a general story already in my head. I haven't the foggiest idea where I want Brooks and Kelly to end up.

All authors are different. Some go into their pieces with a full blown story mapped out in their heads, and they don't come up for air until they have hammered out an entire rough draft. Others will start out with nothing and just write what comes, and when they are finished, a marvelous story has emerged.

I am beginning to understand my problem a little bit. I think. My conclusion lately is that while I love to write and create, I think I enjoy other author's writings so much that in my head, I think I can write. But it's just not there. I can be pretty accurately described as scatterbrained. No doubt. I am easily distracted from anything I happen to start working on. I've never been an over achiever, nor can I say that I always finish what I start. Because I don't.

All that said, I'm not giving up on Wyoming Sun. I am a little embarassed that I have not updated it since January. Whoops. But I will continue until I make something of it. I hope.

This blog is easy to write in. I don't get writer's block when it comes to my blog, because I feel like this is just me writing to my friends and my family. Real life is easy to write about. Fiction is a whole new ball game.

I'll keep working on it. Ideas are welcome! Where would YOU like to see Brooks and Kelly go?

No comments: