Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Where I Find Comfort

I awoke this morning to a cold, rainy, gloomy morning. A man crabby because Maggie had pooped in our room last night.  Dogs who were driving me ape shit because the weather has been too terrible to get them exercised and get training work done on a regular basis.  A cat who decided to start yowling over his breakfast a whole half an hour early this morning, probably sensing my morning rage and convinced that I would fail to feed him.

Tuesdays are my Mondays currently, until I go back to a normal schedule at work.  And this work week has not started off on a good note.  It's freezing here at my desk.  I sit near the outside door and everytime a smoker walks in or out of the building, I'm nearly blown over by a frigid wind mixed with cigarette smoke.  Lovely.

Added to that, we're going into a season that both loathe and love.  Cold only intensifies my anxieties.  Snow and ice on the roads make me a tightly wound ball of nerves until spring comes back.  So it's during this time that seek out things that bring me comfort and warmth.

This morning, while there is not yet snow or ice on the roads, I needed something.  Something that would soothe my frayed nerves and get me through the day.  I grabbed my big olive green mug and got some coffee.  For years now, our bitter office coffee has been a gift.  You'd think a nurotic person should avoid the caffine.  But it has the opposite affect on me and actually calms me down. 


photo by Mark Peace @ flickr

Then I clicked my computer on and once my work programs were up and ready to go, I switched over to settle down with my coffee and read the blogs that I follow.  Blogging for me has been a great adventure.  I was always very anti-blogger geek before.  But once I started reading and writing in my own, I became passionate about this little blogger community.  I follow about a dozen blogs, and each and every one of them is something that I look forward to.

I love hot tea or cocoa in the cold months.  I love my 'shows'.  They are something to look forward to each day.  Something to pull me through the day until I can finally jump into thick sweats and curl up in my big overstuffed chair with my man and just breathe and relax.


While I often get put over the edge by my dogs, they are also still very much a comfort to me.  They are my life, my children, my family, and they are always there to listen to me, even when my human companions don't understand. 

I find comfort in decorating my home for the holidays.  Doing my best to keep my home as my sanctuary is important to me.  And it's important to Red.  Having a warm, happy, comfortable home like nothing else.

I need peace and comfort and warmth.  It's the only way I survive. 

No comments: