Thursday, July 24, 2008

Holsteins & Guernseys

Aha! I have finally managed to scrounge up some pictures from my fair days. Not that any of you will know what I'm talking about, since my whole identity lies back at freewebs. But I dont care! We will learn to navigate this together. Who's with me. Anybody? Really nobody? C'mon!

Moving on. Meet Alexa:

Miss Alexa was my very first heifer. Shes a beautiful barely year old Holstein. And I loved her. A heifer, for those of you who are clueless when it comes to things bovine, is a calf who hasnt yet had a baby. I used to sleep on this girl. In between shows, her and I would be so exhausted. So she would lay down and I would curl up next to her and use her for a pillow. I think she enjoyed it. Life for a cow is anything but fun during fair week. They sit there, or in the heat, they lay there, for 7 entire days. The only way they get to move is to A: Get up really early and be milked. Which in Alexa's case, wasnt an option given her age. B: Get up really early and be bathed. This was daily. She was scrubbed, bathed, polished, shaved... Every day. Or C: Show. And none of these tasks are particularly pleasent, for anybody involved. Its cold at 4am, even in August. And lining up at the wash stocks next to 5 other cows and spraying soap and freezing cold water everywhere doesn't help matters

Here are the rest of the girls. Gosh, this had to be back in... Oh I am going to say about 1999.




I dont remember their names now almost a decade later. But I know that orange Guernsey there is Jolene. And I remember because my beautiful soon to be sister in law is also named Jolene, and her hair is about this exact shade of red. Such a pretty color!

Here is some of the old crew. I grew up with these people. They are all hicks. They are all dairy people. They are all aweome with a capital A. I adore every one of them. Except that punk in the white tshirt looking away. But we wont go there.



And lastly, my horse. He's not mine now. But he will always be mine in my heart. Doc is the buckskin gelding I am always raving about. This horse can do no wrong. Even here in the show ring. When during every showmanship event we entered together, he would stop in the middle of my pattern, and piss. And it wasnt a quicky thing. It wasnt a pee that I could jiggle the halter and get him moving again. This was an all out, sprawled wide, 2 minute pee. There was no moving Doc during his pee session. And while I was pretty pissed at the time... I can only laugh about it now.
I am the tall person in the dark green slinky shirt, tan pants and tan hat. And that handsome dude I'm holding is Doc.




Ohhhh how I miss the days.

Love Em

1 comment:

dlyn said...

Funny - my daughter and I were just talking about going to our state fair this year and how we always enjoyed seeing all the families camping out in the dairy barn. Lots of dairy farms here in upstate NY!