Monday, September 8, 2008

Demons & Brainerd

I conquered a demon last weekend. A personal, nit picking little demon that sat uncomfortably on my shoulder for many years.
There is a part of my life that I hate thinking about. I don't regret it, not one bit. And in fact more often than not, I was happy and contented. But I'd only settled, and I didn't deserve that. I was at a place in my life where I was being showered with trips and gifts and fun, but at what cost? I never had to pay for much. But I was manipulated and lied to and snuck around on and hurt. I think maybe he thought that the one end would make up for the other? I loved him dearly despite it and always remained loyal. I never once broke his trust in me, even though he showed so little.


Last weekend, I went back to Brainerd, MN. A place that I sort of vowed never to return to. It holds many painful memories for me, and in fact has always been a place I wanted to forget.
But I returned, with friends and family at my side. And I had a blast. And I'm so glad that I went because in doing so I was able to flick away that nasty little demon who threatened to forever taunt me.
We stayed with a wonderful family who welcomed us into their beautiful lakeside home. Never have I met such fantastically great yet simple people. And their sense of humor and warmth made the weekend one to remember.
This 'cabin' of theirs was more like a lakeside mini mansion. They had their own beach for crying out loud. With a pine tree on it.


It's been a long time since I've had such a relaxing weekend. Normally even on my vacations, I am stressing out over something. It's just my nature. But not here. Where the most stressful part of my days were sitting on the edge of that dock there, reading my books and sipping Diet Coke or wine.
I could handle more of that kind of 'stress' in my life! Without a doubt.

My fur-nephews had a blast as well. Owen learned to swim... And he played fetch for hours on the beach with his brother Pedro.




Pedro enjoyed sunning himself on the dock with us...



They both did actually. What handsome little boys!



All in all, the weather was terrific, the people were amazing, and it was just an overall good time.

Oh boy, how did Jake's canon get in there?!

Stay tuned for more as I add pictures and text throughout the week! I have lots to share with you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Face your nightmares head on and they no longer have the power.. I am so glad you now have new wonderful memories.