Friday, August 22, 2008

Goodbye Sackett

Ahhhhh it's finally Friday. Finally!
I was going a little crazy. After stuffing my face with fair food for 6 days strait, its been rough getting back into the swing of normal life! (And normal food!)


Yesterday I learned that a good friend of mine passed away. It was quite a blow to the system. Okay, he wasn't a good friend of mine. I disliked him very much actually. And okay, he didn't like me that much either. But it was still a shock. And okay, he wasn't a person, he was a dog.
Sackett was a handsome yellow lab owned by a super talented wildlife photographer. Sackett was a phenominal hunter... I got to watch him in action on many occasions, and I feel honored to have witnessed such acute hunting and retrieving skills. Sacketts owner had only to breath different and this dog would pick it up a mile away.


I used to work at a hunt dog kennel, as some of you know. And there is where I learned most of what I know about dogs, and this is also where I met Sackett. When his owners were away, Sackett and his canine 'brother and sister' would be left in the kennels care. So my care, really. The other two were great, black labs who had a lot of enthusiasm for entertaining me, playing fetch with me and kissing me to death. But Sackett.. Not so much. He knew he was royalty and he treated me like a peasent. But he was gorgeous and I was briefly start-struck when I met him the first time anyways. He had such a passion for the hunt. And eyes only for his owner.


I have found a lot of hunting dogs, especially those owned by men, seem to just melt when their owners are around, but with everybody else... They could care less about anybody else. But you know what? That's okay. I wish my dogs had only eyes for me. But nooo... They would cheat on me with any person to come along. But that's okay too. Because I love that my mutts are friendly!

Rest in peace my friend.


Photo by Lee Kjos

He really was gorgeous though, wasn't he? There will never be another one like him, that's for dang sure.

Have a fabulous weekend, folks! New recipe to follow shortly!



Leave me a comment below if you liked what you read today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww, Sackett was a handsome labby. I look forward to reading you but then you know that already..lol..