Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wednesday

The middle of the week is always the worst. I almost think it's worse than Monday. Its not the beginning, where you can prepare for a long, grueling week ahead, and it's not the end, where you can celebrate and whoop it up. So instead of complaining more about it, I'm going to share more pictures with you.

Here is Tess. This was the day after the sisterly fair night. We were on our way to town, and she is clearly explaining something to me while driving. Or maybe she is bitching about something. Whatever she's doing, she's making a real good point of it with the hand gestures.

So we get to town and decide that instead of hitting up the fair right away, we are going to hit up a movie. Pineapple Express to be exact. Great movie by the way.
And Tess decides to get a giant bag of heavily buttered popcorn... And pays for it. With her pants. I dont mean what you think though. Her pants were brand new and the popcorn butter leaked through the bag and stained her pants.




But shes a good sport and she got over it. Not quickly.

I'd like to tell you a story about a barn. This barn actually.



Back in my dairy days, we showed our heifers in a rickety old show barn. It was basically a bunch of wood and aluminium nailed together. All we did was crap and moan about the old show barn. Plus the lighting was bad, which didnt help the angles on our already gangly tween heifers. If you look off to the left of the photo, you can see the roof of a cattle barn. See that rust? Thats what the whole old show barn looked like! Then one year, magically, this beautiful piece of construction appeared in place of the old show barn. We were impressed. At this time, I wasnt dating, I was in high school. I dont think I had a license. One thing was for sure: I hadn't yet met Red. Our first date was still years into the future. Do you want to know who built that magical show barn? Red did. Red, and the construction company he co-owns with his father and brother, built me this beautiful barn to show my cattle in. And he didnt even know it. Okay, well he knew he built the barn of course. And he probably knew what it would be used for. But he didnt know how much it would mean to a young girl who was his fated future wife. You see, when we arrived with our trailer full of cattle that year and discovered this barn, we were stoked. We were excited. We could not wait to scrub down our cattle and show them to the judge inside of this barn. Its a big deal. And I tell Red about it every year. And Red just smiles that sexy smile and rolls his eyes. "Yes, I know dear", he says.

And to send off the 2008 county fair, we were blessed with a miraculous sunset.



Yes, I realize how that stop sign warning sign is ruining the shot. But I dont care. I dont care!

Leave me a comment below if you liked what you read today!

1 comment:

stargurrl13 said...

Found your blog through a link on a comment on The Pioneer Woman.

The story of the barn is great! Lovely how you're connection to Red began years before and unbeknownst to you both.


It made me think of some of the words from "Bliss" by Alice Peacock.

"It's joy, it's ecstasy, it's truth, it's destiny
And even love is not enough
To tell you how you make me feel
There's only one word for this
It's bliss"