Thursday, August 7, 2008

Night Terrors

I don't quite know how to explain what happened to Red and I last night except for saying, it was terrifying. It was the kind of experience that draws out a person inside of you that you didnt know exsisted until that point.
Last night, Red and I went to bed as usual. The doors and windows were locked up tight, as we both have a habit of checking everything before bed. We usually fall asleep to the news and set a timer on the TV so that it shuts off after an hour. I am not a light sleeper, and in fact a rarely wake up in the middle of the night. I'm like a rock in a cave. Red, on the other hand, will awaken if I breath wrong.
So last night when I woke up at 11:58pm, I didn't know why. I looked around, checked the time.. The TV was off of course. So I rolled over and went back to sleep. Just before 12:23am, I was awakened again to Red jumping out of bed. I sat up, noticed the TV was on. I look over in time to find Red reaching for the metal bat that he keeps near the bed and his flashlight. Red looks at me and says the most terrifying words I've heard in a long time. "Em, you need to load your gun, and you need to be ready to dial 911". Um... Excuse me? Red continues, "I just heard the window break". This sets off a series of emotions and fears that lie very deep within me. You see, one of my most annoying traits, I'm sure to Red, is that I am always hearing noises. I always hear thumps and bumps in the night. And my vivid imagination is always turning them into murderers and chupacobbras and big foots ready to pounce on me if I breath wrong. I'm not kidding. And added to that, I watch CourtTV all the time. So I know how this stuff works. And then I send a sleepy Red to investgate those noises, even though he has a logical explaination for all of them. So you can see, if Red is suiting up for battle, then there is something to truely worry about.
So now that one of my worst fears has apparently come true, I go into overdrive. And I am a panicker. Without a doubt. I become blind and deaf and stupid with it, and I'm not afraid to admit it. By this time I'm shaking and not thinking. But I grab my phone and follow Red out of the bedroom. I am standing in the doorway of the bedroom while Red starts searching the house and turning on lights. My heart races like I've never experienced before. This was an entirely new kind of adrenaline pumping through my veins. Maybe its because I've never been faced with the potential for real, live danger before? If someone was in our house and we surprised them, I had no doubt we would have to fight to come out of it. And it was at that point that my body changed. My thinking cleared, my body relaxed, and I became very calm and focused. I'd accepted the situation at hand, and my body went into fight mode. Its like it wasnt even me. LIke I had floated out above me and was watching the whole thing. I was ready to defend, I was ready to move forward and deal what was inevitably coming next.
But there was nothing. Red and I sweeped the entire house and checked every single window in the house. Everything was intact. Nothing in the house had fallen over and broken. The animals were all zonked out or looking at us through slitted eyelids, thinking "C'mon man, turn off the lights!" Maybe Josh dreamed it? Maybe it was a ghost? Maybe the cat had knocked something over? Whatever it was, it gave me a night that I wont be forgetting for a looong time.
And that's my break in story. I've never been so happy to see the sun before.
Love Em

No comments: