Thursday, August 14, 2008

Horse Show Beauty

I was blessed to grow up with a group of people who literally made most of my childhood dreams come true. A group of people who entrusted me with responsibilities that many would not have. My lifetime equine mentor, Tami, has horses. Lots of horses. Beautiful quarter horses and paints. Tami gave me lessons, put me to work, and taught me everything I know about these beautiful animals. She trusted me with her precious horses. Every single one of them. Even when I didn't trust myself with them! For some reason she's always been one step ahead of me. She's always seen the potential and she pushes for more, even when I am sure I have nothing left. She's made me a better person overall.
The last few days have been kind of a blur to me, but it was awesome. I used to show regularly in horse shows and since my riding accident 2 years ago, I've kind of switched from horses to dogs, as you all well know!
But this year, I was blessed to be welcomed back into the old routine with the old, original crew, and was even given a few opportunities to show!!



You can't see them clearly, but in those 2 pictures hanging on the stall door, is a gorgeous bay mare named Sunny. She passed from a fractured femur bone in Oct 2005, and it was a devastating blow to all of us. "Ma" as she was affectionately called by everybody who knew her, is the reason for just about every single horse in the show. All of us kids learned to ride on Ma. She was a moody mare, but one of the best, and she shaped the future for many of us. I like to believe that she made Tami who she is as well. Ma is the very first horse I ever showed in my life.

Ma's gorgeous daughter, a sorrel overo paint mare named April:



And there of course is the lady of the hour, Tami. April is a very special horse. And gorgeous to boot. She's very abley stepped into her mother's horseshoes and is the light of all our lives.
April's foals are creating their own legacies already as well. Elvis is her 5yo son, and Shania, her 2yo daughter. Elvis is a stunning sorrel gelding.. He was a stud until 2 years ago, but he did have a colt of his own, named Skippy, with the mare Dori, whom you will meet later.



Elvis is gorgeous, and such a sweetie. Well, except for his occasional mood swings, which shockingly remind me of his grandmother.

Shania is Elvis's sister, out of April. Shania is just as stunning as her mother.



I was lucky enough to get to take Shania through the show ring a couple times this year. She was magnificent. I never expect too much from such young horses, especially in the show ring. Shania is, after all, only 2 years old. But she proved me wrong. She squared up almost effortlessly, and she stuck it. She kept her head low, her weight balanced, and made me look good.. Ha! And from that came Grand Champion. She was a good horse to get me back into the ring. Shania has got a bright future.

Faith is another mare who is key to Tami's herd. I believe she is a granddaughter of Ma's. But I cant remember. Man, I've been out of it too long. Shes a gorgeous Palomino mare.



Many of us have learned much from Faith as well. I remember riding her forever ago. Always an adventure with Faith. Faith is another great producer of show babies. She's got a 3yo pinto son named Cowboy who is growing up gorgeous.


Cowboy is being shown here by one of my dear friends, Brianna. Brianna is one of the girls whom I grew up with out at Tam's place. Bri and I snuck out many times to meet up in the middle of the night and we'd grab our horses, Foxy and Doc, and ride them bareback side by side around the outdoor arena and talk for hours. It was so much fun. We had great horses and great friends.

My very first horse was there. I have mixed feelings when I see him. He was mine, I'd signed the papers, he was everything to me. But a certain someone forced me to give him up. It was a sad time in my life. But hes now owned by a little girl who's getting a kick out of him and learning a lot from him.
Cherokee is a 21yo bay overo paint horse.

And Ashley, who now owns, rides and shows Cherokee. What a spectacular pair they make!
Dori is a sorrel mare who belongs to Vicki... She is the mare I'd mentioned earlier.



This is not her most flattering photo. But it was pouring rain and Dori and Sean there were both drenched. As was I. Sean is Tami's husband. Sean and Brianna are the two who got me into showing Dairy cattle. See, I told you it was all connected! These people and these horses shaped my entire future.
Anyways. Dori and Elvis got together and had a colt. Skippy is a sorrel 3yo.


Skip is a one of a kind gelding. He was born the same time as Cowboy. Hes got this mysterious white spot up there in front of his hip. Just appeared one day. And showing Skip this year was Sam. Sam reminds me a lot of myself at that age. I dont know her well, but she was very shy and unsure. And thats how I was. But Tami will change all of that in time. She always does! And Sam did a great job this year with Skip. The judge this year was fantastic and allowed me to go into the ring with Sam as her coach. Tami went in with me when I was young as my coach and I remember how much of a difference it made to my confidence level.

And last but certainly not least, Trace.


Trace isnt related in any way to anybody. However, he will play an important role in the next couple of years. Trace is the farms 2yo stud colt. He will be bred for the first time next year as a 3yo, and if he produces color, he will get to keep his danglers. However if produces solid colors, he will most likely be gelded. You see, this paint horse farm wants color. And Elvis had his chance at ruling the kingdom. But he threw solid sorrel and got himself gelded. Trace has one shot. Hes a good horse. Hes got a great disposition for a stallion. I am crossing my fingers for some color.
More horses to come later! But this is all I have time for at the moment! And I'm sure you're sick of reading and seeing horses.
Love Em

No comments: