Wednesday, November 5, 2008

She wants to be a Disc Dog

I have an Australian Shepherd.



Those of you who are dog people, I know you just nodded and sympathized with me. Because you probably already know where this post is going.

Those of you who aren't dog people... Well, Aussie's are a breed of their own. Herding dogs are in a genre of their own. They are highly driven dogs who need something to do. ALL THE TIME.

My Frankie and I are making our way through obedience classes. And making awesome headway in our training! But it's not enough. Our goal was to be competeing in novice agility trials by summer 2009. And that's still in the cards.
But in the mean time, we needed something else.

Then, a rescue friend of mine told me about an organization that she belongs to. The Minnesota Disc Dog Club. So I stopped at the store and I bought a frisbee. And I showed it to Frankie. And then I threw the frisbee for Frankie. And then a monster was created.




Yesterday, I woke up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I see Frankie is standing in front of the counter where I left the frisbee, shaking in anticipation and ready to pounce should the disc try to fly away without her consent. If she had been human and I'd said good morning to her, she would have absently waved a hand at me without taking her eyes off the prize. If she carries the disc around and nobody notices and plays with her, she rubs it on our ankles and drops it in our laps.

I joined MNDDC yesterday. I think it's the only thing left to do.



I'm going to have to start hiding the frisbees I think.

Pray for me.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's georgous! I'm a dog person too but my dogs don't really know that they are dogs anymore...they think that they are people. Good luck with with your new endevor!

Hohni said...

Wallace wants to come and live with me!!! :)

Anonymous said...

You are not alone! I have to hide the frisbie from Pedro as well!-Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Oh she is beautiful! I have three dogs myself. I've never tried the frisbee thing and you kind of have scared me off now. :) Good luck and let us know how it went!!

laurie said...

oh, this will be so fun!! i miss having a dog that was intense about retrieving. (toby was. boscoe isn't. and riley isn't. he just wants to be chased.)

you will have so much fun! but that dog will also hypnotize you and take over your life, they're that intense.

Staci said...

As the proud owner of an Aussie, I know exactly where you're coming from. Chloe is really into ball chasing and making sure I never get to relax! :)