Saturday, February 13, 2010

$155 Weekend Bedroom Makeover

I had to redo our bedroom. It was a mis-matched disaster. My room has been a disaster area since I was like 11 years old, that definately hasn't changed. As an adult, I've been better at keeping things organized.  But the room itself needed help. We were still using a mix of 'bed in a bag' bedding from our high school days, two walls were wood panelling, and the other was a weird brick red color that I was obsessed with 4 years ago when we moved in. I've never had a perfectly matching, organized, lovely bedroom that felt like a real sanctuary.

The before:

















Messy. Uninspired. Drab. It was comfortable, but that's about it.

The first step was to do something about the wooden paneling.

So I turned to my trusty Valspar primer.
The cracks were pretty deep, so I had to take an extra day just to fill each line with caulk and use a paint scraper to spread it even. Ulgh.
Finally I was able to start painting.
This color is called 'Crucible' by Valspar.
If you recall the wall of drawers and shelves, the hardware was a brushed nickel finish. Rather than replace them, I just sprayed them with some Valspar primer.

Before all of this could begin though, I needed to find a new bedding set so that I had something to pick my colors from. I found a brand new set on ebay.

The result???



But something was missing....  A headboard.

Appx Cost Breakdown:
Bed Set ~ $70
Paint/Primer ~ $50
Caulk/Gun ~ $10
New nightstands ~ $25

Linking up to:
Metamorphasis Monday at BNOTP!
Make it for Monday at Cottage Instincts
DIY Day at ASPTL
Power of Paint at Domestically Speaking

11 comments:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Fantastic job on the new room!!! What a difference! I really like the wall color. Very calming. Great job :)

Marigene said...

Wow, what a nice room! I really like the color you have chosen for the walls.

cinlo said...

You did a super job! It looks great and really pulled together.

Gail said...

What a difference, great job. I know your feeling alot more relaxed in the room.

Tonya said...

GREAT JOB!!! What a relaxing retreat! Certainly a HUGE difference!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

WOW! Much, much better than the mismatched room before, and the blue is much more calming than the red. (I'm a fan of red, but I think your choice of blue for this room is inspired!)

Nicole said...

Love the paint job you completed! Looks like a completely different space. Congrats on a job well done.

KimMalk said...

It looks so nice, put together and calming. I'm assuming you have something up your sleeve for a headboard.

Sara said...

Wow! Your room looks great! A huge improvement- good job!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

What a transformation! Love your sleek and a bit modern look.

Julia said...

Nice work! I think this looks wonderful considering the minimal investment. I love blue as well.