Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Really, PETA??

In response to PETA's rude interruption of last night's Westminster Dog show... Really, PETA?

I didn't see much of the show or the actual interruption take place. But I read about it. Two members of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals group surged the ring with signs saying "Mutts Rule" and "Breeders kill shelter dog's chances".

Now, I'm a strong rescue advocate. Super strong. I'll never buy a dog from a breeder.  All of my dogs are rescues and my future dogs will be rescues.  And yes, I am against irresponsible breeding for the sake of personal gain.

But would PETA be happier if all we had left in this world were mixed breeds? Would they be thrilled if our purebred dogs disappeared completely?  I know I wouldn't.  I have a love for my Aussies and for the breed. I fully support responsible breeders who breed to show, who breed to keep the breed pure, and who use the breed for what they were originally bred to do. It takes a special person to do that.

The word 'breeder' makes rescue people cringe. It made me cringe at one time too. And there was another time when I wanted to 'grow up' to be a dog breeder.  But I have since 'grown up' and realized what it takes to be a good, responsible one, and I don't have it in me.

It's the actions of organizations like PETA that turn people off to dog rescue. There is a difference between wanting to help animals and throwing paint on people wearing fur.

So again I say... Really, PETA??

No comments: