Sunday, February 14, 2010

Fast & Easy $20 DIY Headboard

My new bedroom was missing something. The deep blue/grey color I choose for the walls only needed white accenting to really pop. So a white headboard was my goal.


I stopped by Lowe's and picked up a sheet of the cheapest, thinnest plywood they had. I also grabbed a 4x8' sheet of insulation foam and had them cut it down to size for me.  That's the great thing about home improvement stores is that they will do all that pain in the butt stuff for you.


I started with my materials.
I grabbed a roll of duct tape and taped the foam to the front of the board.














Flipped it over on top of the fabric I choose. It's a soft amish weave that was on sale at the Wal Marts and had that weaved look, so I thought it would be perfect for the headboard.  Grabbed my trusty staple gun and started stapeling the fabric to the back of the board.

I also bought a package of those picture hangers with the teeth that you nail onto the back. I added one on each end so I could just hang the headboard on the wall behind the bed.

Voila!
I personally preferred the lower look. But you could customize this easily by having the wood and foam cut to whatever height you want. I know a lot of people like the higher headboards. But I don't.
Cost Breakdown:
Plywood ~ $5
Foam ~ $6
Fabric ~ $6.50
Hangers ~ $2.50
I had the tape and staple gun on hand. So this homemade headboard cost me a total of $20!

Linking up to:
Metamorphasis Monday at BNOTP!

8 comments:

René said...

Such a great inexpensive way to add pizazz. I've been wanting to try this too.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Oh wow!!! Looks even better now :)

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Quite the transformation you've carried out. Love it!

Carey said...

Great inexpensive idea. I have not had a headboard in years. I think I will try this. Thanks for sharing.
Carey from Chicory Nits

Marigene said...

Love the headboard!

Anonymous said...

Foam insulation is my favorite DIY friend! Great headboard!!

Kirsty said...

It looks great! Good job!

Fawn said...

Nice! I've been looking for something light-weight to do for a headboard. I'll have to give this a go!