Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Little Buddy

Sunday evening produced a nice little winter storm that paralyzed roads for the following 24 hours. Red and I stayed home from work Monday for this reason. We were in the living room when Red points out that there is a weener dog running down the middle of the road.

I watched him for about 10 minutes. The company across the road from us often brings their dogs to work with them and since he was hanging out around the parking lot, I thought maybe he belonged to someone there. But soon after, he headed out of the parking lot and disappeared behind a building. On the other side of the building is the highway and nothing but snowed down farm fields. I threw on my boots and followed him, leaving Red to shake his head.

On a side note, if Red thought that he could point out a dog running down the road without his woman taking action, then he really doesn't know me at all, does he? 

The little dude didnt want to be caught. When he saw me behind him, he took off.  Great. I didnt have a coat on. I ended up tracking him about a quarter of a mile before he got tired of the chase and dove into what I am assuming he's been using as his burrow. When I approached, I was greeted with snapping teeth and lots of growling. The company where he was burrowed was letting out of work, so some of the guys stopped and offered me crackers from their lunch boxes to help me lure him out. One guy tried being brave and grabbing him, but that only resulted in him getting bit a half dozen times.

I decided my only option was to go home and get a leash. If he was gone when I got back, than at least I could say that I had tried. But he was still there when I got back, and I was able to toss a looped leash end around his head and drag him out.  I took him by the company where we first saw him as well as a few of the neighboring houses, but nobody recognized him.

So long story short, he's with us for the time being. I've been calling him 'LB' for Little Buddy.  He's skinny and only weighs about 7lbs. He curled up on my lap last night for a nap under the blanket. I think he's just grateful for a warm place to sleep and some real food.

Cross your fingers that LB's owners can be found soon. The outside winter world is a scary place for a lost little weener dog.  But he's coming around. He is getting along with our crazy crew and has even offered himself as a lap warmer a few times now, which I am taking to mean that he is beginning to trust us a bit. He also tried jumping into bed with us a couple of times.  Poor kid.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I'm so glad you were able to catch him! Hopefully he'll be safe now that he's out of the cold.

Becks May said...

Hope he finds his home!