Friday, February 12, 2010

Dogs Deserve Better...

...than life on a chain or in a pen.  It's not just a motto.  It's the truth.

When I first started rescuing dogs, it was through a national rescue called Dogs Deserve Better. I was a state rep for almost 3 years.  Then I got antsy and decided to start my own rescue.  I found out the hard way that I'm not a good personality to run a dog rescue, or anything else for that matter. I'm a natural follower and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Long story short, I burnt out before I even began.  Fostering dogs wore me to the core. I took on so much that I overwhelmed myself more and more until finally I just had cut all the strings to take the pressure off.

But as it turns out, you can take the girl out of the rescue, but you cant take the rescue out of the girl.  My eyes are naturally peeled for dogs living outside in these brutal northern winters. DDB is a rescue that was built soley to rescue dogs who are living outside, either chained up, penned in or lose in a backyard, ignored and lonely. Before, rescueing meant I had to take dogs into my home. But I have 4 dogs now, and it's not possible.  But that doesn't mean I can't keep fighting the good fight against chaining. 
















As of today, I am officially a Minnesota state rep for DDB again. I'm so happy to be back. My goals this time around are to work with chained dog owners to educate them and help them find ways to bring their dogs inside.  I'd also like to work on legislation for the area. I live in a very rural, good-old-boy town. It's a small farming town and animal welfare is surprisingly non exsistant.  Of course there are some fabulous dog owners around here. There's a lot of them. But until it's all of them, I can't stop trying.

2 comments:

Kate said...

That's so great that you're a DDB rep again. I'm sure you'll do a lot of good and help out a lot of dogs.

Becks May said...

You are the BEST and we would have never found Sandy if you weren't a DDB rep! So glad you are again!