Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Funeral

I just returned from my Grandpa's funeral.

Of course funerals are always a sad time. But this one will stand out in my mind as a happy time. I got to catch up with people I haven't seen in some time, I got to be with my family through an emotional event, we laughed and cried and talked about old times. I adore my family and we were together, and that's what Grandpa would have wanted.

I'm not generally an emotional person on the outside. I hold my emotions in at my core and prefer to deal with them on my own. That's just how I've always been. But over the course of yesterday and today, its funny how little moments shocked my emotions. Seeing the military line up for my grandpa. Listening to the pastor talk about him. The lining up of cars behind the hurce. The police SUV blocking off a busy road. I still hadn't cried openly through all of this, but felt the little jolts. It was when the military stepped up to my Grandma and gave her that folded flag at the cemetery and spoke of their fallen comrade that I cried.

They were married 60 years. I can't even imagine how much time that is.
He's in such a better place now.

2 comments:

Train Wreck said...

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. (hugs) I hold alot in too. It is good to let it out. I am happy to hear you shared memories, and stories with your family. Poor Grandma, I can't imagine how much she will miss him.

Anonymous said...

This was a nice blog about grandpa and a beautifull picture.