Wednesday, January 28, 2009

GSP vs. Penn

Those of you who don't know me, you may be surprised to find I am a UFC fan. Or maybe not so surprised. I was never into watching athletic sports on TV. I had heard of ultimate fighting, but that had to be just as boring as boxing or wrestling, right? WWE? Screw that.
But some years ago, shortly after meeting Red, he dragged me along to a fight night. He said that if I didn't end up liking it that I could huddle in the kitchen with the rest of the girls and talk girl stuff. Girl stuff? I know I'm a girl and all, but I still dont know what girls talk about. I've never been one of 'those' girls.
I was preparing myself for a night in the kitchen when one of my favorite songs comes on the TV. I peered out into the living room where everybody was gathered around the TV. This guy comes strutting down towards the Octegon to this song, in the zone. This was my first vision of Matt Hughes.
The fights engaged when I first started watching were when UFC were still back into the 40's. (UFC 45, UFC 46, etc) This weekends fight will be UFC 94. And I have seen near every one in between.
I remember also fighting that first night was Ken Shamrock, Tim Sylvia, I think Matt Serra was in there... This was also the first time I saw GSP fight. Georges St. Pierre.
GSP and Matt Hughes have been my favorites from the very beginning. Probably because I watched them both kick ass this first evening of the UFC for me.
Matt Hughes has since semi retired. He's vowed that he has one single fight left in him, against the prick Matt Serra. (I dont like Serra)
But GSP... He is still going strong. And he fights this weekend. Against another fighter that I truely despise. BJ Penn.
I will be rooting for the handsome Canadian. I plan on marrying GSP one day. Red already knows. :o) And he's okay with it.
Tune in on PPV this January 31st for the fight of the year.


Photos courtesy of UFC.com

GSP vs Penn




1 comment:

Hohni said...

Question of the morning…

In 1892 the longest boxing match happened….



57 rounds

67 round

Or

77 rounds!!! I guessed the 77 and won!!!



I think a raffle for the tickets would be great!!! Do whatever you want with them. If you can get some cash for them and use the money towards the rescue…COOL!!!!



(Tanner is grounded though!!!)