Sunday, July 19, 2009

Disc Doggin

I am not completely sure why, but for some rediculous reason, I have never been able to remember to bring my camera when I go to a disc doggin event. Never. Not once. If I ever post photos of dogs catching discs, they are very likely taken by someone who remembers to bring their camera.

This past weekend we went to another disc doggin event. Frankie and I competed in Novice Freestyle for the very first time. I thought I was going to have a panic attack or something prior to stepping onto the field. I don't like doing things in front of people. Much less doing things in the middle of an abandoned field surrounded by a hundred or more people, with each of those people staring at me, expecting me to put on a good show. Yikes.

For an entire week leading up to this freestyle routine, I would break down at some point every day and literally freak out about it. I was nervous. I was scared. I was absolutely and completely terrified. I even tried conjuring up an excuse so that we wouldnt have to go. But when I was able to reasonably think about it, it didn't make sense for us to skip it and then go to Colorado and have our first freestyle routine ever in front of a thousand people. If I cant do it in front of 100 people, what makes me think I can handle 1000? And maybe it wont be 1000. But its a major event. Bigger than any I have been to.

We first took the field to do MNDDC's Catch 22. That was no problem. I have done distance and accuracy once before, and did Catch 22 at a fun match. So despite the cranky wind that kept taking my discs, I was no longer nervous about that. I no longer feel embarassed if we do poorly. We aren't out there to win. We're there to have some fun together. Disc has brought Frankie and I closer than anything else in the past.


It was when I was on deck to take the freestyle field that I started panicking.

When we practiced our stuff in our backyard, and even on the field during playdates, I was nervous and shakey and everything was just really bad. I couldn't seem to put everything together smoothly. And my mind would go blank. So what was interesting to me was how once we were out there, I heard my song start and immediately everything just came to me. The next throw or trick would just line itself up in my head and my body would follow suit. It felt good. Frankie was right on rarely missed a disc.

Looking back on it now, I honestly don't remember what we even did out there. I'll chock that up to the nerves that were still unconsciously flowing. And really, I forgot a couple of the throws that had intended to do. But for our first time, I am really happy with the result.

Never mind the nasty, flaming heartburn that set in less than 2 minutes after we stepped off the field. I think that had been building all day and once I finally relaxed enough, it flooded my body. Yowza.

We leave for Colorado in two and a half weeks for the Colorado Canine Challenge. It will be the second time that we have competed in freestyle, and our 3rd time in a throwing event. But I am soooo excited! Great people and fabulous dogs will make it a week to remember.

Oh, and I promise to bring the camera. DK won't let us leave unless I have it.

1 comment:

Ninso said...

You two did an awesome job! You looked like old pros out there!