Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Small Town

As you know, I live in a tiny little agricultural town in Minnesota. I live here because this is where Red lived when I met him.

Honestly, I had never heard of this town prior to meeting Red. In high school, friends and I would drive through here in the middle of the night when we were out cruising around and doing nothing. Yeah, I was one of those people who got enjoyment out of driving aimlessly around back country roads, with nowhere in particular to go.

But I didn't hardly remember the name of it.

I wasn't real lively about the initial idea of moving here. But the more time I spent there, the more I knew that it was for me.

I love that I know the names of all of my neighbors. And their dog's names.
I love that all of my neighbors have dogs.
I love that with a three minute walk in one direction, I can be standing on the edge of wide open country spaces. I need wide open country spaces.
I love that when somebody in the neighborhood has a backyard bonfire, that it's just expected that the neighbors will drop by and have a beer.
I love that when I walk into our gas station, I'm greeted by name.
I love that when I check out at that gas station, if Red isn't with me, they ask me if he's fishing.
I love that they know that Red is always fishing.
I love the fact that if I walk into the bar/pool hall/diner, that the bartender pops open a Bud Light for me.

The other day, I went to the bank. I go through the drive through. There are 3 stalls in the drive through. I love that even though there are 3 stalls available to use, that 5 cars lined up behind me to use the window stall, and left the other 2 open.. Because they just wanted to have a face to face conversation with the lovely teller who is always there on Fridays.

Because that's just the way it is in a small town.

No comments: