Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Savannah

Red and I picked up a new foster dog last night.

Now to back up a bit, we had decided to take some rescue time off to try and figure out what direction we wanted to head next. I didn't see myself fostering again so soon. But isn't that always the case?

Well, last weekend I drove a rescue transport for 3 frightened Border Collies. They were gorgeous dogs, but previously mistreated and untrusting. When we arrived at our destination point and met the next drive who would take them on the next leg of the journey, there was another dog being added. A little Silky Terrier named Olivia and I got to snuggle her for a few brief minutes.

Those of you who know me personally... You know that I've never been much of a small dog person. Or so I thought. But after fostering so many dozens and dozens of out of control large dogs, it was nice to occasionally have a small dog who was easier to manage, even if they were harder to train.

And what many of you don't know is that it was a Puppy Mill Rescue ad that lead me to the rescue website that began my 'rescue career' in the first place. Puppy mills have always angered me for obvious reasons, but I never got involved on a personal level.

Then I met Olivia. And as I spoke with Heidi, the gal who had brought her to meet the transport so she could go onto her new forever home, I got a brief insight back into that horrible world of puppy mills. We had no foster dogs at that moment. Nor were any on deck to arrive. Heidi had dogs that needed a place after coming from the puppy mills.

I gave it a lot of thought before committing. I talked to Red in depth about what we would be taking on and why it would be different than what we were used to. We agreed that we could make it work and that it would be worth it. Living with me, Red has learned a lot about puppy mills and since the big tough man has a soft spot for the little dogs, it was a good compromise.

And so last night, Savannah entered our lives.



Savannah is a young Lhaso/Cockapoo mix. That would make her half Lhasa apso, one quarter Cocker Spanial and one quarter Miniature Poodle. I don't know how accurate this is. But I can see at least the Lhasa and the Cocker in her.

Savannah came from a puppy mill. She was always either pregnant or nursing babies. And about the time when her babies were taken from her, she would go into heat again and forced to breed. Again. She lived in a wire cage that was 2ft x 2ft. She had never felt grass or a kind human touch until a week ago. Her rear legs have zero muscle tone. Just enough to allow her to stand and walk, because she spent most of her life laying down in her own filth. The teeth that she has left are in just decent enough shape that she can carefully chew hard kibble. If we reach out to touch her, she ducks away in fear. If we pick her up to hold her, she stiffens up and refuses to relax until she is released.

Savannah is a victim. She didn't deserve to be treated the way she was. But this wonderful rescue saved her from a mill that was through with her and would have otherwise thrown her away.




4 comments:

Hohni said...

Poor Baby!! I hope she can find her forever home soon!!!

Cj said...

awww, the poor doggie...

Ninso said...

You are a saint for taking her in!! Do you think she'll be able to be housetrained though?

Emily said...

Ninso~ It's hard to say at this point. In the 3 days we've had her, she hasnt had a single accident on the floor. But she seems comfortable only going potty in her crate. We do a lot of standing around outside with her and we've gotten one brief squat out of her, but it was so short that I dont know if it was a pee or not. Lol! Only time will tell I guess... Poor baby girl. Red and I were talking last night about how it's almost like she's not even there. Shes very quiet and kind of stays out of site, even though she insists on being in the same room as us. However, this morning she must have been feeling frisky because we got a 'roooo' and a 'wooof!' out of her. Lol!