Monday, March 29, 2010

Little Orphan Annie

Okay, she's not really an orphan.  And, she's not really little.  But her name is Annie... but only because that's what I renamed her.

I recently started back with Dogs Deserve Better as a state rep.  I love the organization and I believe in the cause.  I went into it with the intent to focus on education and legislation more so than fostering. I have four dogs now, after all.

But nooooo... A dog who has been abused, had two litters of puppies in the two short years of her life and living at the end of a chain in what I can only describe as a small junkyard needed help.  The owners were willing to surrender her but there was nowhere for her to go.

So what did Emily do?  She said 'I'll foster her.'  I'm probably not the brightest bulb in the shed.

So anyways. Meet Annie!
I really do love her already. She's a gem.  A diamond in the rough.  She kissed me on Saturday morning and Red's only response was 'We're not keeping her!'. Typical. It's not like I want to keep every dog that kisses me.  Except... I want to keep her.  Isn't that aweful?
Annie is probably a Pit Bull with some Amercian Bulldog in her. I think I can see the Am. Bulldog in her face a bit.  Her head is like a boulder compared to her compact body.  She's small, but 53lbs of solid muscle.  She's strong.
She loves it when Red talks to her.

On the Foster Dog Difficulty scale, she's in the lower end.  She's pretty easy. She's already housetrained, she's crate trained, she is quiet.  She gets along well with my male dogs. We're still working on the females as she wants to be the top dog and so do my girls.  I try reminding them that I'm supposed to be the top dog... but...

Her only flaws: She can and will kill my cat if given the opportunity.  And she needs so much exercise. Like quadriple that of my psycho herding dogs. The weekend was okay because I was able to give it to her. But the workweek should be interesting. Double the crate time and half the exercise.  Not good. And both aren't technically flaws of hers... Just stuff that I need to work on.  Maybe they are my flaws?

Still, she's working on Red. Red is trying to resist.  But nobody can resist that face.

3 comments:

Becks May said...

She is adorable! That picture of Red and her on the couch is too much. I have a feeling that little Annie won't be an orphan for long :)

Emily said...

No, she won't be. I was thinking I'd have to hang onto her for a while, but once she's spayed this week she's ready to go. She's been just amazing. Somebody is going to be LUCKY to adopt her! Unfortunately, Red is pretty set on staying at 4 dogs. Lol! So we won't be the lucky ones.

Ninso said...

I'm in love!! And it looks like she's in love with Red!