Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring, Virtigo, Dog, Garden. Eh?

It's spring!

K, no, spring starts in 48 hours actually.  But right now it feels like spring. 

Last night I skipped my Crossfit class so that I could spend some time outside doing some yardwork. Cleaning up the yard after snow melt is never my favorite job.  See, I am not consistant about picking up the pooh during the cold months. But I got the entire front and side yard raked and 'decrapped', took the Christmas garland, lights and ribbons down, swept off the patio and sidewalk and picked up some cords and cardboard that had been covered up by the first snow and forgotten. 

It was good to spend some time in the sun. Jeans and a sweatshirt. Daylight savings time started last weekend so we have an extra hour of daylight in the evening and it will only keep getting better. Those cold months where its dark at 4:30 just depress me.  It sounds like we have one or two more short rounds of snow and then winter will be outta here for good.  Thank God.

The dogs are going stir crazy.  Frankie even took off the other day when we were out pottying. She was just in the neighboring yard. But its further than she usually goes and it was my signal that I need to ramp it up with everybody.  I found my rollarblades a few months ago and I've been itching to start rollarblading with the dogs. I have been wanting to skijor with the Aussies but I keep putting off the training.  And before I know it, winter's gone. Rollarblading will be a good first step at least to get them used to pulling up ahead of me.  What am I saying, they already do pull me. 

I recently went through a week long spell of 'virtigo'.  In my case, the mold under the snow and the thick fog in the air irritated my sinuses to the point of messing with my inner ears, which caused me to be dizzy and nauseous and feel like I was drunk.  I couldnt see strait at times. It was pretty scary.  But apparently it's common in you're sensitive to such things. I didn't realize that I was, and I hope that it's not going to be an annual thing now.  It wasn't fun.

I''ve been busy lately with DDB.  I began posting some ads about what we do and we've gotten a few calls about chained dogs. Saturday I am going to check on a Husky mix and we're also working on a beautiful pitty girl whose already had two litters in her short life of two years. She is chained up in what I can only describe as a junk yard.  She's next to a washing machine.  Outside.  My only obsticle now is to convince Red to let me foster her.  She needs to get out of there and unless I can find another rescue to step up, we am her only current hope to get out of there as nobody else can take her. But Red isn't keen on fostering dogs anymore, not with four of our own. Understandable. And while he's not discriminatory towards any specific breed of dog, he really does have a small uncertanty about pittys.  He thinks they are beautiful dogs and he doesn't judge. But he has no experience with them and they make him a little nervous.  I think that asking him to foster a pit would be along the same lines as asking him to foster an Aussie.

I want to start a garden.  I know nothing about gardening. Ya'll know anything about gardening?  I don't know when I'm supposed to till. I dont know what steps need to be taken before planting. Or when to plant.  I dont know how much sun a garden needs, or what side of the house it would be best on. When are vegetables ready to pick?  What mainentence goes into a garden?  I haven't the foggiest idea. But I want one.

That's all for now.

No comments: