Friday, March 19, 2010

Roller Derby Kirby

I went rollerblading yesterday. I took Kirby with me.  Where do I start?

I got this bright idea yesterday that I should start rollerblading with my dogs. I went to Fleet Farm after work and bought a harness. Not a pull harness, but a harness all the same just in case something went wrong and I didnt want to end up choking my dogs.

So I strapped Kirby into the harness and fitted it. Kirby did a few whirls around and around, trying to figure out what the hell he was strapped into.  While he did that, I found a 20ft rope with a clip and clipped him to it.  I wanted him to have some extra space in case I needed to ditch. Grabbed my rollerblades and Kirby and I went outside.  I first discovered that I hardly remembered how to put the dadgum things on my feet.  Kirby was no help, since he thought that having mom sitting on the ground meant he could crawl into my lap.  I finally strapped them on.  Then I had to figure out how to get up. I ended up using Kirby to help haul me up.

The first thing Kirby noticed was that I was a foot taller. I think it alarmed him a tiny bit.  But he walked wth me as I trudged across the muddy yard.  Once I got to the road, I realized that I hadn't actually had rollerblades on my feet for probably a couple of years. I did a few arms throws to keep my balance, and then we started rolling.  The second thing Kirby noticed was that mom was rolling.  That did alarm him, and more than a little bit. How was I moving without actually moving?  So when in doubt, what do you think a herding dog does?  He herds!  Kirby started herding me on the blades!  He did a few pounces and barks at my heels before I finally got him focused enough to not herd and to work on staying out of my way instead. 

Once we got onto a strait away, I got my legs back and Kirby was havingt too much fun to remember herding. He jogged next to me and away we went!  Kirby was grinning the whole way. I think he loved it.

I'd forgotten how hard it was to rollerblade.  My hips and my legs are sore!  Kirby is definately going to be my chosen roller buddy.

On another note:  Today is the last official day of winter.  Hooray!!!!!!

1 comment:

~Lesa~ said...

Too, too funny! I could picture the whole thing just from your description. Your Kirby sounds a lot like my Moonsha (border collie). She died at age 18 a year ago. Thanks for the smiles.