Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cheesecake Bars

Cheesecake Bars

Oh yes, you heard me right.. I said Cheesecake!I have spent the last 15 months trying to perfect the ultimate cheesecake. And you know what I've found in those 15 months??Cheesecake is stupid. Yeah, stupid. Its too dadgum hard to make! There are waaaaay too many ways to screw it up. Trust me, I know what I am talking about. I have screwed them all up.So today, I am going to offer the mother of all cheesecake recipes. And if you dont like it, well... Go find a different recipe. Because this one took me 15 damn months to perfect!Plus, well, its not really just cheesecake. These are cheesecake bars. But who needs a cake... Any party or event can be handled just fine with bars.

Supplies:

Crust:
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Cheesecake:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup half & half
1/2 cup Bailey’s Caramel (or regular if that floats your boat)
2 8-oz packages plain cream cheese, softened (DO NOT USE FAT FREE CREAM CHEESE, PEOPLE! Just trust me)
3 large eggs
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. Begin by making the crust. In a large or bowl, cream together sugar and butter until its all smooth and fluffy. Sift together flour, cocoa and salt in a small bowl. If you dont have a sifter, then work it quick with a wisk. Working at a low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture. Mixture will be crumbly when all the flour has been incorporated. Press evenly into the greased pan and bake for 15 minutes.While the crust bakes, combine sugar, half & half, Bailey’s and cream cheese in a large bowl, and beat until smooth.. Add in eggs one at a time, waiting until each in incorporated to add the next, followed by flour and vanilla.Pour the filling over the crust when it comes out of the oven. Return pan to oven and bake for 25 minutes or so, until the filling is set (a 9×13 pan might need an extra couple of minutes, so be sure to test that the cheesecake is set by gently jiggling the pan before removing it from the oven).Make sure its cooled completely before you dig in. I know how tough it is, but you gotta wait!When the time finally comes, cut out half of the pan for yourself, and start chowing. Okay dont do that or you'll feel sick. But I dare you to stop at one bar.

No comments: