Friday, August 21, 2009

Stop Complaining and Do It!

Let me start out by saying that I have always had a hard time finishing what I start. In almost every aspect of anything in my life. The only exceptions are things that are mandatory, such as work, cooking, cleaning, etc, where my well being kind of depends on the finish.

Growing up, my parents gave me the gift of musical lessons. I took piano and guitar lessons. I picked up the piano pretty well for a while. The guitar was quite a bit tougher, but I was getting the hang of it.

I haven't the foggiest idea today why I quit playing these instruments. I would give just about anything to be able to play either/or fluidly.


Photo by tinctoris @ flickr

About 5 or 6 years ago, just before I met Red, I 'found' and old friend. Found meaning we ran into each other after years apart and we started hanging out again. Well, he plays the guitar. And very well I might add. He attempted to teach me. But me being me, I couldnt take it seriously enough and my guitar went back to collecting dust.

I have a Yamaha keyboard as well as a beauitful old acoustic guitar. Both of which have lain idle for a half a dozen years. It's sad really.


Photo by fernando delfini @ flickr

I usually curse myself for not continuing the lessons that were offered to me. What an idiot I was! For some odd reason on the drive into work this morning, I was thinking about my instruments. And I cursed myself again. I'm 25 years old and I still can't play anything on either. It's frustrating. I was about to let it go when it dawned on me...

Stop complaining and learn to play, you knot head! Why can't I still learn to play? I have a desire to do so and I know how important it is to me to learn. Being a teenager wasn't my only chance to l play an instrument. Yes, it will be harder now. Much harder. But that doesn't mean I can't do it, right?

So. Who wants to teach me. Anybody?

2 comments:

Ninso said...

i took piano as kid and i'm primarily self-taught on the guitar. haven't played piano for years though and no time for guitar since i got the dogs. you just have to make a commitment, pick it up, and do it. bet you could find a book or video and teach yourself if you really wanted to!

Emily said...

That would be wonderful! I will do just about anything to learn again.