Tuesday, August 25, 2009

DIY

Ahhh... DIY.

It stands for 'Do It Yourself'. I posted earlier about Kimba from 'A Soft Place To Land' blog. This wonderwoman and her readers have given me a hundred new projects to launch into.

Shall we talk about inspiration for a minute? Did you know that this photo...



...taken by Melanie at The Old White Cottage, is the sole reason that I ripped my bedroom apart this past weekend and completely re-organized it? Just the photo alone!

This may not be good in one sense... Because I can completely see myself starting 4 projects, making a huge mess, and then not finishing any of them. That is so the kind of person I am.

But the more DIY blogs I read, the more ideas I'm getting.

My grandpa moved a couple of years ago from his house to an apartment complex because he didn't want the hassle of caring for an entire property himself anymore. In the process, he unloaded a large amount of stuff onto me and Red. Which is great, I love it because it belonged to my grandma and my mom, both of whom have passed. But at the same time, I dont know what to do with most of it.

But as I dive into these DIY'ers, I am getting more and more wonderful ideas on how to make this stuff my own. There are pretty bottles and glassware that I really cant do anything with. Then I discovered what spray paint and spray gloss can do. There is an old old dresser in our spare bedroom that is scratched and chipped and gouged. So why not sand it and re varnish it to match my home? There is a faux wood chest thats very pretty and quite sturdy yet, but its ugly. So I'm thinking I'll spray paint it to see what I can make of it.

Not to mention that I just recently figured out how to use my sewing machine.

I think that now that I'm not doing dog rescue, I will have more free time on my hands. Rescue is the reason my house has 'gone to the dogs' the last few years. Well, it's time to take it back. And I know Red will be thrilled to live in a cleaner, brighter, updated house. One that will certainly still be filled with dog hair. But I'm counting on the new vacuum to help me quash that!

Stay tuned. I will take before, during and after photos of each project I begin!

4 comments:

Ninso said...

Aren't blogs great! Where did people get information before blogs? I have no idea!

Hohni said...

I want to see those before and after pics. Then you can come to my house and help me :)

Cj said...

I am doing that here also!.. one reason being that I need change now that Frank is gone.. it can be fun and overload at the same time..but well worth it in the end..

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see what you will do!! I did Old English Sheepdog rescue for 9 years and that is tough work.

Cynthia