Saturday, September 5, 2009

Ottoman Re-Do

I had so much fun doing the first DIY with the decorative plate! I don't have a lot going on this holiday weekend, and Red is out fishing, so I dove into my next project and actually finished it in just two hours!

This ottoman belonged to Red's late grandmother. It was given to him a couple of years ago. We only recently began using it, but it just really didn't even kind of 'go' in our living room. It was a weird, faded pinkish maroon color. Our living room colors all tie into the checkered rug, and this ottoman does not.








I asked Red's permission first, as it was his piece, and he agreed. I didn't even push him or anything! So I searched a little manically for the right fabric to recover this ottoman. Ironically, I found it this morning in the Wal-Mart sale bin.

I began by taking the hardware off. I set the bottom half aside so I could work on the top.
Sylvester helped keep the bottom half from going anywhere.


At first I thought this would be easier than I'd anticipated. I mean, make sure the fabric is strait and attack it with the staple gun.



But I'd forgotten about these little button thingys. I had no plan for them at all. I sat for a half hour, staring at them, before jimmy rigging a new string set through the wood. Also, glue guns are a life saver.

(I would LOVE to hear how some of you DIYers have recovered these button thingys!)






The bottom was pretty easy too. I 'hemmed' the side pieces with the glue gun and just stapled the fabric into insides.



I'm pretty happy with the finished product.



I still have some tweaking to do around the corners. They stick out too much for my liking. You can't really see the colors, but its maroon and tan and white and it works very nicely now.



Linked up to DIY Thursday at Kimba's ASPTL!

Linked up to Transformation Thursday at Shabby Chic Cottage!

5 comments:

Ninso said...

That looks great Em! Nice job!

Kimberly Cherrine-Bell aka. greenhoneyhive said...

You did a good job lining up stripes, fantastic. Don't even attempt to recover old covered buttons. They will v=never go back together properly...Save yourself a terrible headache and go get new covered utton kit at the fabric store...They really are quite easy to do if you are patient.

Alyssa said...

You did a fantastic job on the re-do. Looks great!

Alyssa
lifeoflyssie.com

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Looks really good. What a change!

I don't think I'd have the patience to line up the stripes. I usually stick to solids. But, I do love a good stripe.

Julie said...

Good job. I agree with Kimberly you did a good job lining up the stripes. That is always a challenge.