Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Queen is Back!

Let me start from the beginning.  Maggie is a dog that we rescued from a kill shelter a couple of years ago and the last time she was here was before my blogger days.  So you have never heard of her, though some of you family members have probably met her.

Maggie is a now 5yo Corgi female.  We pulled her from a high kill shelter in October of 2007.  Upon arrival, we thought we were getting a male Corgi named Wally.  We obviously soon discovered the truth about her and took her home to foster.

Red fell head over heels immediately and named her Maggie.  She was a sweet little thing who has weak knee cap muscles which causes her rear end to flip flop around when she runs.  But it doesnt cause her pain nor does it affect her ability to get around.

Maggie was quickly adopted by a sweet family.  Red was heartbroken but happy that she had found a home. But within a few months, life changes forced them to return her.  Maggie was back.  Red was thrilled.  She was again quickly snatched up by a lovely family with a small child.  Again, Red was saddened, even though I had pressed to adopt her at the time, he'd refused. There she remained for a year and a half, happy and loved.

The other day, I recieved an email.  The family had a new baby and they couldn't get a handle on Maggie's shedding or give her the time she deserved.  The typical stuff, ya know.

Well, this was difficult.  The deal was that by adopting Kirby, we were done with rescue.  Well, there are appx 200 dogs out there that we have rehomed and it's my duty to be there as a safety net should something happen where a family can no longer care for them.  In most cases, I would first try to A) network with other local rescues to help or B) find a foster home who could care for the dog until a new adoptive family is found. 

But this is Maggie.  Maggie.  Maggie the love of Red's life, Maggie.

So, I met her family and picked her up this morning.  I put her in her bed on Red's recliner as a surprise.  He wasn't home yet and I sat there wondering what to do.  I was wishing that they had emailed a month earlier before I'd even met Kirby.  It's no secret that Red and Kirby aren't best buds.  I swear Kirby tries to annoy him.  But I can't give him up.  He's my dog.  But at the same time, Maggie is Red's dog.  She always has been.  And when he came home and saw her, I could see the sheer happiness in his eyes.  Red isn't even a dog person.  But he and Maggie have always had something.

Any other dog, he would be upset that I'd broken our deal.  But I knew he'd make an exception for this gal.  Now I'm faced with a tough decision.  Do I give up Kirby to keep Maggie?  Or do I once again break Red's heart and make him watch yet another family take his dog away?  Or do I do neither?  It was a little chaotic with 3 dogs.  But with 4, it's strangely calm.  Maggie is helping me with the pack leader stuff so I can clean the house.

Anyways... On to happier stuff and the point of this post. 

The Queen is back in the house.



Maggie may have tiny little legs.  And those tiny little legs may be near crippled.  And her sweet, easy going nature may put even the dumbest dog off.  But let me tell you... This little dog doesn't take any crap!






And eventually... Everybody bows to her.


Even us humans.  You know, it always ticked me off when I watch these dog shows (Dog Whisperer, etc) and they have these little dogs that can get away with anything and everything.  I completely understand now.  Not that Maggie will ever do anything wrong.  Because she can't.  But if she did, I couldn't be upset with her.  She's not a normal Corgi.

So far, the 4 dogs have been nothing but peaceful.  Once Maggie put all of us in our place, of course.
















1 comment:

Cj said...

I think you should just let her stay.. go on with life, enjoy the crew and all will be well in the world :)