Saturday, November 28, 2009

DIY Decorating

I love decorating for Christmas.  I love it I love it I love it.

When Thanksgiving Day comes to a close, I dive into a decorating frenzy.  The tree goes up, gets lights and decorations and the fall stuff goes back into storage for the year.

Thanksgiving weekend, since I'm off from work, is typically my decorating weekend.  So can you guess what I've been doing all day?

Decorating of course!

As they day starts to wind down, I am running out of ideas and my house isn't looking as full of Christmas Spirit as I'd like.  But I don't feel like running out to drop more money on more decorations. So, I had to dig into the DIY part of my brain.

It hit me that I have rolls and rolls of materials that are just waiting to be put to use.

Christmas wrapping paper.  And tape.















Last week, I ordered some stuff from one of my favorite magazines. I got these little black cast iron reindeer and the shelf I wanted to put them on happened to be black as well.  It didn't work. So I cut out a square of dollar store wrapping paper, folded it down so it had clean edges, and laid it under the reindeer.  Voila!




Our coffee table has 3 squares of black laquer glass on it.  And the wood and glass mixed with the Moose antler dish didn't hold much Christmas cheer. I'm not a doily girl.  (Doilly? Doiley?)  But that antler really needed something under it.  So, I pulled out the center glass and taped wrapping paper to it and it really spruced it up.  I am considering finding two more paper patterns and just covering the other two glass pieces.


You'll have to forgive my picture taking skills today.  No, I haven't had too much eggnog.  It just happens that my trusty old camera is having some issues and having trouble finding it's focus these days.

Basically free Christmas decorations.  I already had all of the materials needed and the idea could be used just about anywhere in the home.  When New Year's rolls around, it's super easy clean up!  And you'll already be warmed up to tearing it off whatever you applied it to!

Happy DIY decorating!

Linking up with Kimba's DIY Tuesday!!!!



3 comments:

Moore Minutes said...

Smart idea! What a fun way to decorate.

EllensCreativePassage said...

Absolutely love that idea! I also love the reindeer...where did you get them?

Emily said...

Ellen~ I got them from LTD Commodities! I think I paid like $5.95 for the set of 3!