Monday, March 23, 2009

Back to Dane-olism

Danes have slowly been coming back into my life. Some are little ironic, unplanned instances, while others are thought out. Like Saturdays transport of Lucy. That was just sheer pleasure for me. Yesterday, I took my two fur-loonies for a walk and we came across a surprisingly small woman with a Mastiff in one hand and a Great Dane in the other. Both were walking calmly on their leashes at her sides. Best behaved giant dogs I have met in a long time! I completely oogled over her dogs, while she oogled over mine. I suppose my Aussie and my Lab were just tiny dogs to her.

I call it Dane-olism, and I talked about it last spring. Its like alcoholism, but rather than alcohol, its Great Danes that have wrapped themselves around your heart. The day my Merc left, I expressed the deep depression it sent me reeling into. I didnt know how I would live without that Dane dog.

To refresh your memories, here is Merc.




Not her best photo, I know. I loved her intense, ice blue eyes. And yes, this was as clean as I could keep her. You can't keep white dogs clean in the spring, people. Its just not a possibility.

I didn't think I would ever recover from losing Miss Merc. But I do hear from her new adoptive family occasionally and that helps to ease the pain.

Last summer we had Diesel. Diesel was an 18 month old huge male who was living tied up behind a garage by his backyard breeder who didnt want him anymore.



What a sweetheart he was. A giant sweetheart. He's now living with his new adoptive family, who also have another Dane.



Watch out, Red. Em's got Dane-olism again.

2 comments:

Hohni said...

Ut oh!!!!

Heidi said...

I LOVE Danes!!! SO want one... but can never find one to adopt that would fit our family....