Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Trainer Rik

The reason that it took me this long to really seek out a real, live personal trainer is just that... That most of the 'trainers' out there are not real or live. They are wannabes who have worked out a few times or think they know everything about the gym when really, they are just looking to make some money off a multi-billion dollar a year industry by taking advantage of the 99% of the population trying to lose weight or better themselves.

It's more common than you'd think.

Well, I worked out last night for the first time at my new gym. And Rik was there, as he always is. I jumped onto one of these machines that are like an elliptical but they simulate running. Very awkward machines they are. I started out at level 5 but with a 3% incline. Next thing I know, trainer Rik is standing next to me, talking on the phone. He punches my level up to 20 (ack!) smiles at me, pats me on the back, and walks away.

It's already started. Let me tell you that the next 30 minutes were a hot, sweaty, breathless hell.

Now THAT is a real, live trainer. In the entire crowded gym, he singles out his newbie (me) and makes sure that I am pushing myself from the very start. I feel confident in my choices. It may have taken me 4 years to finally get a trainer. But dammit, I think I found the perfect one for me.

4 comments:

Hohni said...

My thighs are all ready burning!!!

anya said...

Hey Emily....sounds like you're awfully busy these days in your working out, match making mode.

I'll tell you how I lost weight....12 pounds or so since Halloween...well, it only took a couple of months but not a drop has returned, in fact now I can eat whatever I like because I don't need to loose more. And, lest that doesn't sound like a lot, imagine it on a just under 5 foot person! I quit eating just one thing: peanut butter which I ate by the spoonfuls. But the real thing was the cardio. I started walking up the mountain behind my house. Then when the snow came I began snow shoeing up. At the club which I joined I discovered I hated most of the cardio machines till I got my ipod. Now me and the ipod, smoke the treadmill. In fact, I've discovered that the sound track makes every one of my cardio activities a different story altogether. Nothing feels like a chore. I just zone into the music. If I had to list the one thing that is the best weight loss tool I'd say the i-pod!

I make up playlists with songs that pace me. So for the treadmill I have to look for 4.3 mile an hour songs.(short legs, you know) For walking and snowshoeing they can vary more.

Anyway...good luck in both your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

Hey Em,
Glad to hear you got a trainer! I love working out with my PT (when he shows up, that is). I never seem to push myself as hard as he pushes me. I try, but If I'm making up my own workouts they never seem as rigorous. And I'm seeing major results! When I started, I could barely do 10 pushups. Last week, I did an entire hour of weight lifting with a 20 pound vest on--including 30 pushups! I hate cardio, I think mostly because I find it boring, yes, even with an iPod AND a good TV show on! But I want to run with my dogs this summer, so I'm doing it, and pushing myself, and seeing increased stamina too, which is good. Good luck! You can do it! I think having active dogs is a great motivator too!

Train Wreck said...

Good for you. I understand the "trainer" issue all too well. I too joined the gym just the other day. I also have for the last month and a hlf been doing two hours of cardio here at my house. I am sore, but I know that all I am doing is working. I agree with Anya! You have to have music!! Keep it up my treadmill climbing friend!(is your trainer hot?)