Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Understand Now...

Anybody watch The Biggest Loser on NBC on Tuesday nights? Well I do. This is like season 7 I think. But this is the first season that I have watched religiously, all the way through.

Those of you Loser fans, you will recall a few weeks ago when all of the colored teams sort of fell apart and the decision was made to split everybody into the Black team and the Blue team. Some of the team mates ended up losing their trainer and having to move to the other trainer. More specifically, some of Bob's trainees had to move over and start training under Jillian.

Well, do you remember how when everybody found out, they all had a fit and started crying and glubbering about losing their trainers?

I didn't understand that at first. I mean I know that shit happens and I know that being a person on TBL tv show is a very emotional thing. I mean who likes change, really?

But I understand now. I get it now. I recently started working out with my own personal trainer. Going into it, I'd wanted a female. Just because I figured that a female would understand the emotional aspects of being a heavy woman better than a man. But as it turns out, I clicked with Rik right away and so I opted to give him a chance.
I have worked one on one with Rik a handful of times now. And leaving the gym last night, I understood what the big deal was on The Biggest Loser when Bob's trainees had to switch trainers.

When you begin working with a personal trainer - a good, qualified, mindful personal trainer - you divulge everything from the get go. You can't hide your inches behind baggy clothes. You can't hide the stupid number that is your body weight. You don't get to lie about how in shape you really are. Because the first thing they do is break down all of those shields until all that is left is you. And then they start pushing you, and you are forced to show them your weaknesses. Every single one of them. If you dont show them, they will fight it out of you.

They take down your weight. They take down your height. They take down your inches. They stick you on a treadmill and write down that skyrocketing number that is your heartrate. They watch you pant and sweat and they see your face turn fire engine red. They stand over you while you struggle and battle with yourself. They get to see, first hand, you while you make a damn fool of yourself.


But that whole time, they are offering words of encouragement. They are patting you on the back. A good trainer is caught up with only you for that hour. A good trainer is not distracted by anything around you. A good trainer, no matter how much you think you suck, will make you realize they are there to help you become the best person that you can possibly be, and that they will be there guiding you every single step of the way. And they wont let your weaknesses get in your way. They learn them, and then they block them.

This is how I know I understand now. The trust and faith you put into somebody who you have bared it all to, from day one, is a very powerful thing.

No comments: