Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What, oh what, have I done?

Monday I drove around on my lunch break and ran some errands. I have been wanting to join a 'real' gym for a while now. I have nothing against our small town gym that is about the size of my living room. But it's crowded in there if there are more than 4 or 5 people. And to be truthful, I am getting a little bored with it. I know that if I stay there, I will stay on this ugly plateau and never move forward. I will miss working out with Red. It's something that we have always done together, because it's not like we get to spend that much time together as it is. But I feel that this is the only way I can better myself. So I am doing this for myself.

So back to Monday. When I was done running my errands, I drove past the gym that is like a block from where I work. I had been there last summer to attend the Humane Society's 'Who Let The Dogs Out' day. It's been on my mind ever since. But I never joined because, well, it was a little intimidating. I mean, compared to my little gym, this was a big monster full of beautiful, buff people. But I drove past it as I do everyday, and on a whim I whipped the truck around and I forced myself into the building. I was immediately greeted by Rik. Rik wasn't as intimidating as I thought he would be. He showed me around and answered every question I had. Before I knew it, I had joined the gym. For a year. I signed a contract for a year. Luckily my insurance has a nice fitness plan that pays for more than half of the monthly dues.

I went back today to meet with Rik. We went through my fitness goals and discussed the different options we had. We meet again Saturday for an evaluation and fitness/cardio/strength test. Then, Rik is going to start kicking my ass. I asked him who his meanest trainer was. He said that he's been known to be called a d bag in the past by his clients. I told him he was hired.

What on earth have I just signed myself up for? I mean, I have wanted to lose weight for years. And the more I try, the more I gain. But you know what? There is no backing out now. Rik is on my case now. And he is going to whip me back into shape in no time, I have no doubt.

Why am I terrified? Because his last words to me today were "Don't worry, Em. I havent' permanently injured anybody yet." Great. That's great news. Thanks for reassuring me, Rik. I see a lot of pain in my future... Ulgh.

1 comment:

Hohni said...

You GO GIRL!!!
Can't wait to see how it's going for you and the results!!!