Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Music & Ghosts

This past Friday evening we attended our little town's 'Hometown Sampler'. It's an annual concert put on by local bands and the proceeds to the the local food shelf. The concert ran for 3 nights and the first night alone, Friday, they raised over $7,000! Very awesome.
My daddy has a band called "Senior Moment" and they joined in on the fun. I love listening to them play. My uncle Greg is also in the band.
But we will come back to that.
In past years when we have gone to the Hometown Sampler, it was held in one certain building. A building, I might add, that is reputed to be haunted. It's part of a handful of buildings that 100+ years ago was used an Indian orphanage. I don't know the details, as I am on the grounds multiple times a week for various reasons and since my time will be spent there, I decided I did not want to know the horrible history.


Well, we didn't know it, but they moved it to another building on the property this year. But like I said, we didnt know that. So we walked into the building. The door we would normally go through was locked. But the lights were on. Nobody was in sight. So, we jumped on the elevator, and when we jumped off again, we were confronted with this:



Endless, dark hallways. You walk to the end of a hallway, you can turn left or you can turn right. But you will only be faced with yet another...:



...Yup, dark, endless hallway. There are more creepy, echoing hallways in this one building than it looks like there should possibly be, looking at the size of the building itself.

I mildly wish now that I would have been a little more in my paranormal mood. It was a creepy night, it would have been fun being lost in a haunted 200 year old building. I mean check out the fog this particular night.


One of my favorite shows is 'Paranormal State' and I watched it on it's regularly scheduled time this past Monday evening. It was Tuesday that I came across an online forum discussing the different hauntings and ghost stories in our area. This place was on the list more than once, and in particular, the building that Red, myself and Jen and Jake were lost in Friday night. I was eager to check back on my photos taken in the basement for some apparitions... But no. No ghosts can be seen on any of my photos. Bummer!

But anyways... We finally made it to the concert. In another building, halfway on the other side of the grounds. A building, I might add, is also reported to be haunted. But ghosts were the last thing on my mind that night. My daddy was playing!



We were perched up on the balcony, so forgive the blurry of the photos here. My dad has been a drummer for most of his life and has been in quite a few really great bands. And there in the bright red tie with the guitar is my uncle Greg.
Would you look at the smile on my dad's face? You think he likes being a drummer? I think so, too.



And here is Senior Moment. You gotta hear them to believe them. Because sometimes even I dont believe the amazing old sound that comes from Barbie's throat. Or the skill in the music being pumped out of the band. If you like jazzy type oldies, you need to get a load of Senior Moment.

Unfortunately, while the preceeding generation of my family seem to all have amazing musical talents, I seemed to have been skipped. I want to play instruments. I even took guitar and piano lessons when I was younger. But I was lazy and never kept with it. Dumb idea. If you are young and you read this blog and your parents are giving you the gift of musical lessons, you stick the hell with them I tell you! Because if you don't, you will regret it later in life. I promise you.

No comments: