Friday, January 8, 2010

Hollywood Cookie Diet & a Wal-Mart Boycott

Yes, you heard me.  I said hollywood cookie diet. 

As I drive to work in the morning, I am usually listening to the local country station on the radio.  This morning was no different.  A radio ad came on for what I originally thought was the 'Hollywood Cooking Diet'. I was intruiged. I would love to learn some new recipes.  When they repeated themselves, I understood that it was indeed not a cooking diet, but a 'cookie diet'. 

"Replace up to two meals a day with up to four cookies, and have a sensible meal as your third meal of the day."  They have a website and everything. I thought it was a joke at first. They even had a code word for a discount.  It was 'New Rear'.  What a crock. But it was no joke.

How many people do you think heard that commercial and went off to stock up on cookies??  It's insane!  I'll bet I could write a book full on nonsense, title it as 'Lose 50lbs in 50 days' and become a millionaire overnight.  People will do just about anything to lose weight.  I've tried a few crazy diets myself in an effort to lose a few, but even I'm intelligent enough to know that replacing meals with cookies is a fast train failure and pose even worse health risks. There aren't any nutrients in cookies.  You can't survive on cookies.  WTF?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red and I decided this morning that we are boycotting Wal-Mart.  I read a news article this morning about how Wal-Mart is dumping unused clothing, shoes and winter gear in dumpsters.  They hire a contractor to take giant garbage bags full brand new clothing and dispose of them.  But that's not the worst part.  First, Wal-Mart purposely destroys the articles of clothing (cutting out the fingers of gloves, the sleeves off jackets, etc) so that people can't dig in the trash and use the items.  Why not donate them to some charities who can use them? 

A gal commented on my FB page after I wrote about the article and our plans to boycott.  She said how while the story is true, the reason they do it is so that people don't take the items and try to return them for money.  Okay, well cut the tags off them, mark them as donated (a permanent marker 'x' on the back collar or something?) and train your always rude, pissed off customer service staff to recognize the donation mark. 

There is no excuse for this conglomerate of a company to act the way they do.  I am always hearing of questionable business ploys from them. I won't go into detail.  But I won't be shopping there anymore.

2 comments:

Ninso said...

Cookie diet? Do you have to buy "special cookies" for it, or do they advocate mixing up a batch of chocolate chip and eating those? If they have cookies you have to buy, I'm sure they taste like crap--like eating kibble. My CF box is doing an 8-week Paleo Challenge starting feb 1st . . . I'm gonna give it a try.

Becks May said...

Hee hee! Em you make me laugh! I am just checking out your blog for the first time and I am really enjoying it. Keep it up girl! Funny thing I noticed too is that Google AdSense posted an ad for the Hollywood Cookie Diet on your page! LOL!